A Commissioner is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to take oaths or declarations when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration. The CAO, Planner, Treasurer, Deputy Treasurer, Planning Assistant and Executive Assistant are commissioners for taking affidavits for the Township of South Fronteanc. This authority is conferred by the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act.  The Commissioner is not responsible for the content of the affidavit. It is the sole responsibility of the person whose signature is being commissioned (the "deponent") to ensure the content of the affidavit. The deponent must understand not only the details to which he or she will attest but also the fact that he or she is swearing an oath that the details are correct. The township does not supply standard forms for any of the documents listed below other than the planning applications.

In order for an affidavit to be commissioned, the deponent must bring proper identification to prove identification identity and the affidavit must be signed in the presence of the commissioner. An affidavit that is presented with the signature already included will not be commissioned by Township Staff.

It is important to note that a Commissioner for taking affidavits is not the same as a "Notary Public". A Notary Public is a person who is authorized under the Notaries Act to commission documents, certify documents as true copies and to verify signatures. The requirements to become a Notary Public are more stringent than for commissioner and most are lawyers or judicial officers. If you require a document to be "notarized" as opposed to "commissioned", the person administering the oath or affidavit generally is a lawyer.

The following documents are examples of situations where you may need a Notary Public:

  • statutory declaration
  • planning application
  • birth certificate - if you are applying to be married in another country, that country may require a notarized copy of your birth certificate
  • consent letter for children travelling abroad
  • land transfer signatures
  • vehicle owner transfer
  • residency document
  • mortgage signatures
  • passports in certain situations
  • professional exam applications
  • single status declaration - before you can be married aboard by foreign officials, they will require you to provide a Single Status Declaration to very that you are actually single.  

 The following is a sample of documents a Commissioner of Oaths cannot sign:

  • documents requiring a notary public
  • documents that need to be certified
  • forms which call upon a Commissioner of Oaths, and also request certified true copies of other documents as attachments. The Commissioner cannot certify attachments and therefore cannot sign the forms.

phone icon Contact Us